12 terror suspects sent to NIA custody

New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) A court here on Monday remanded 12 suspected members of the Islamic State (IS) in National Investigation Agency’s (NIA) custody till February 5.

During in-camera proceedings, the NIA told District Judge Amar Nath that the accused were involved in recruiting and financing those willing to join the global terror outfit and that their custodial interrogation will help unearth the larger conspiracy.

The agency said the accused were also encouraging Indian youths to join the IS.

Earlier, the accused, their faces covered, were presented in the court amid tight security. They were brought from different places on trasit remand.

The accused are Asif Ali alias Arman Saani, 21, Sayed Mujahid, 33, and Nazmal Huda, all from Karnataka; Suhail Ahmed, 23, Muhammed Abdul Ahad, 46, Mohammed Afzal, all from Bengaluru; A. Mohammad Aleem, 20, from Lucknow; Mohammed Obedullah Khan, 33, and Mohammad Shareef Mounuddin Khan from Hyderabad; Mohammad Hussain Khan, 36, Mudabbir Mushtaq Shaikh from Mumbai and Imran Khan Pathan from Aurangabad in Maharashtra.

Mohammad Nafees Khan and Abu Anas, 24, Hyderabad are also among the 14 people arrested by the NIA.

On Saturday, official sources said all 14 suspects picked up by the NIA in cooperation with state police during raids at 12 locations in six cities on January 22 had been formally arrested.

Till Friday, only five of the total 14 were formally arrested. All of them have been booked under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply