Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal, Princess Anne, on Thursday June 30, 2016, unveiled commemorative rings, made of gold from Anaconda’s Point Rousse Project, that will be presented to the winners of the men’s and women’s championship races of The Royal St. John’s Regatta in 2018.
In 2018, The Royal St. John’s Regatta will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the first documented Regatta of 1818 which was held to mark the 47th anniversary of the coronation of King George III, making The Royal St. John’s Regatta the oldest continuing sporting event in North America.
The gold, used in making the commemorative rings, originates from Anaconda’s Point Rousse Project on the Ming’s Bight Peninsula in the Baie Verte Mining District and is from the first small batch of certified Anaconda Newfoundland Gold. The rings were created by Julie and Terry George of The Golden Tulip, which is the exclusive jeweler for Anaconda Certified Newfoundland Gold.
The rings feature the shield from The Royal St. John’s Regatta Coat of Arms which is also the 200thAnniversary Celebration logo. They reflect the unique design of the six-person shell, the rippling waters of Quidi Vidi Lake and the connection to the Royal Family.
“On behalf of The Royal St. John’s Regatta Committee, the 200th Anniversary Committee, and our rowers, I extend appreciation to Anaconda Mining for the contribution of Newfoundland gold, and thanks to The Golden Tulip for designing and making the rings. We are confident that the competition will be strong in 2018 in the quest to win these championship rings.”
~ Paul Rogers, President, Royal St. John’s Regatta
“It is a tremendous privilege for Anaconda Mining to contribute the gold for the rings unveiled today. We feel honoured that our gold will be used in the commemoration of this historic event and the celebration of the champions of the 200th Anniversary Royal St. John’s Regatta races.” ~ Dustin Angelo, President & CEO, Anaconda Mining Inc.
Distinguished guests also included: His Honour Frank Fagan, Lieutenant Governor and Her Honour Patricia Fagan; The Honourable Dwight Ball, Premier; The Honourable Siobhan Coady, Minister; Member of Parliament Nick Whalen; Member of Parliament Seamus O’Regan; Deputy Mayor Ron Ellsworth and members of the St. John’s City Council.
The very earliest, verifiable mention of a rowing competition in St. John’s dates back to August 1816 when the Royal Gazette makes mention of a rowing match. However, it wasn’t until 1818 that the first official regatta was held on September 22, 1818 to mark the 47th anniversary of the coronation of King George III. It is from that date The Royal St. John’s Regatta takes the position as the official anniversary of the longest continuing sporting event in North America.
The Royal St. John’s Regatta continues to draw large crowds of up to 50,000 people to the shores of beautiful Quidi Vidi Lake. It has become a staple of Newfoundland and Labrador’s history and is itself a curious entity.
The Royal St. John’s Regatta is:
- The only civic holiday in North America to be declared by a committee of persons not associated with a government body.
- The only civic holiday that is dependent on the weather.
- One of the last fixed seat rowing competitions known to exist in the world.
- The only competition where teams have to round buoys and return to the start line in order to finish the race.
- One of only four organizations in Newfoundland and Labrador to be granted the Royal Designation (the others are The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary and The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club).