25 killed in MP blasts, compensation announced

Jhabua (Madhya Pradesh), Sep 12 (IANS) Twenty-five people were killed and over 50 injured on Saturday following an explosion at a tea stall and a nearby building in Jhabua district in Madhya Pradesh, police said.

The first blast was followed by another explosion in a two-storey building, after which the structure collapsed.

Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has ordered a probe into the incident.

Chouhan, expressing grief over the incident, said that two theories have so far emerged vis-a-vis blasts and he won’t like to comment anything officially on it. He also said that Chief Secretary Antony DeSa has been asked to look into the matter.

The chief minister has also announced a compensation of Rs.2 lakh the kin of the deceased and Rs.50,000 to the injured.

“An explosion took place in a tea stall on Saturday morning. After that, another explosion took place in a two-storey building in which 25 people died,” Jhabua Additional Superintendent of Police Sima Alva told IANS, adding: “Many people were injured in the incident.”

Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Babulal Gaur said: “The blast took place due to gas cylinder explosion.”

It is being said that there were explosives in the building following which the blast happened.

Questioned about this, Gaur said: “The matter needs to be probed and an order in this regard has been given.”

Witnesses said that such was the blast’s impact that several people died on the spot.

Many are believed to be trapped in the debris. Relief and rescue work is underway.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply