820 military personnel discharged, says Defence Ministry

Ankara, Sep 1 (IANS) The Turkish Defence Ministry on Thursday said 820 military personnel were dismissed as part of an ongoing probe into the July 15 coup attempt, media reported.

The ministry said 648 of those dismissed were under arrest, Xinhua news agency reported.

Thousands of high-ranking military personnel, including around 200 generals, were suspended earlier under the state of emergency, declared following the failed coup attempt.

About 590 Colonels retired last week from the army in line with decisions taken at Turkey’s Supreme Military Council, reports said.

On August 17, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said 40,029 persons were detained and 20,355 remanded in custody, including police officers, soldiers, judiciary members, local administrators and civilians.



Related Posts

Leave a Reply