Say goodbye to the boring ham and cheese sandwich. Using pizza dough, these roll-ups make a delicious lunch served cold and can be warmed up for an afternoon snack. Introduce internationally inspired flavours to your kitchen with one of the Italian, Spanish or American variations.
Ham and Cheddar Roll-Ups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) grainy mustard
• 1 lb (500 g) pizza dough
• 6 slices Armstrong medium cheddar
• 6 slices ham
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
2. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until butter melts and brown sugar bubbles.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll pizza dough into a 15 x 11 inch (38 x 28 cm) rectangle, about 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick. Brush 2 tbsp (30 mL) mustard mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Top evenly with cheese and ham, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border.
4. Starting from the long end, tightly roll into a log, pinching seams to seal. With a serrated knife, cut into 12 equal slices. Place cut-side down in a greased 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Brush remaining mustard mixture over rolls.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Substitute the ham and cheddar for these internationally inspired variations:
Italian: Fresh mozzarella and sliced prosciutto Spanish: Monterey Jack with Jalapeño slices and cooked crumbled chorizoAmerican: Swiss cheese slices and smoked turkey
Find more recipe ideas at www.armstrongcheese.ca. – NewsCanada