A-I bombing convict Inder Singh Reyat released to halfway house

Vancouver, January 29 (CINEWS: The only person convicted in the 1985 Air India bombings has been granted statutory release from prison to a halfway house.
Reyat was found guilty in 2010 and sentenced to a record nine years in prison, or seven years and seven months after accounting for time served.reyat
Under the law, offenders must be granted statutory release after they have served two-thirds of their sentence.
Parole Board of Canada spokesman Patrick Storey said Reyat must abide by several conditions as part of his release, including not possessing any extremist propaganda or possessing any components used to build an explosive device.
Reyat is set to serve the rest of his sentence, which ends in August 2018, at a halfway house. Storey said he could not disclose the location of the residence due to privacy legislation.
The parole board ruling for Reyat’s release said a psychologist’s assessment in 2013 found the man’s risk was “relatively high” for future group-based violence and that he lacked remorse for the victims of the bombings.
If Reyat breaches any of the conditions, he can be sent back to prison, Storey said.
The eligibility date for Reyat’s statutory release is Wednesday. Correctional Service Canada can release him a day early, but spokesman Jean-Paul Lorieau said privacy legislation prevented him from confirming whether Reyat had already left prison.
A second bomb-laden suitcase, destined for another Air India flight, exploded prematurely and killed two baggage handlers in Tokyo.
Ripudaman Singh Malik of Vancouver and Ajaib Singh Bagri of Kamloops, B.C., were acquitted in March 2005 of murder and conspiracy charges in the two bombings connected with state-owned Air India.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply