Mumbai, Jan 8 (IANS) Actor-producer Aamir Khan on Friday welcomed the Mumbai Police’s reported move to cut security for him as news emerged that a security review had been done for Bollywood personalities.
“I completely endorse the move by Mumbai Police to reduce the security around me,” Aamir posted on Facebook.
“The police personnel can be put to better use in securing the city. If and when the Mumbai Police feel the need to increase my security, they will. I trust them completely,” Aamir added.
His comments followed reported moves by police to slash security for top rated stars for him and his colleague Shah Rukh Khan.
A police spokesperson, while confirming the routine exercise of annual security audit on threat perceptions to various personalities, added that no actor’s security has been downgraded or increased.
When contacted, Maharashtra’s Minister of State for Home Ranjit Patil said he was not aware of the development.
Shah Rukh and Aamir, both 50, will be entitled to two armed constables in two shifts, down from the earlier round-the-clock security by four armed constables and an escort vehicle.
The two had been provided 24×7 security after controversies following their comments on “intolerance” increased threat perceptions to their lives, another official said.
Besides the Khans, police provides security to around 40 Bollywood personalities including directors Rajkumar Hirani, Farah Khan, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, brothers Ali and Karim Morani, and Mahesh and Mukesh Bhatt and actor Akshay Kumar.
Security cover is also accorded to icons like Lata Mangeshkar, Dilip Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan among some others.