Allegations of rape against diplomat not proven, says Saudi embassy

New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) The Saudi Arabian embassy here on Wednesday said allegations of rape against a senior diplomat of the embassy were “not proven” and deplored the “unwarranted media briefing before investigations are complete”.

In a statement over reports regarding the filing of cases against a senior diplomat on charges of rape and against his wife and daughter on charges of torture of two Nepalese housemaids at their residence in Gurgaon, the embassy said it “strongly stresses that the allegations are false and have not been proven”.

The embassy said it has brought to the notice of the Ministry of External Affairs “the unwarranted media briefing before investigations are complete” and also “protested the unwarranted police intrusion into a diplomat’s house against all diplomatic conventions”.

The Saudi embassy said it would, however, wait for clarification from the MEA about the matter and wait for the outcome of the investigations into the allegations.

No arrests have been made so far.

The Nepal Embassy, which also got involved, said it is in touch with the Indian external affairs ministry and police authorities to seek a detailed report on the alleged rape and gang-rape of two Nepalese women in a Gurgaon flat by a Saudi Arabian diplomat and his friends.

“The Nepal Embassy is in touch with the MEA and local police authorities… we don’t know officially whether he (the accused) is a diplomat or not,” Nepal Ambassador Deep Upadhyay told media persons on Wednesday. He said a parallel investigation was being conducted in Nepal.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply