Alonso hints at return to Indy 500

Views: 49

Austin (Texas), Oct 19 (IANS) Formula One driver Fernando Alonso (McLaren) said that while he has not made any plans for 2019, he is open to taking part again in the Indianapolis 500.

The Spaniard, who earlier announced that he wouldn’t be racing in F1 next season, responded coyly to a question about his future plans during a press conference here on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, reports Efe news agency.

Asked if he will be spending more time in the US in the upcoming season, he said that, free of the constrains of the F1 calendar, he will have more time to visit the country “for a holiday.”

Responding to a follow-up question, Alonso said: “The Indy 500 is still very attractive, as it was last year, and after winning Le Mans this year, it’s even more attractive to try to achieve it in the short term. Still working on plans for next year and as soon as they are finalized you will know.”

ALSO READ:   Kit Harington vows to never return to 'Game of Thrones'

The two-time F1 champion, who came 14th in the Japanese Grand Prix, said he prefers to focus on this weekend’s race “to try to score points after two races out of the points.”

With Lewis Hamilton poised to win a fifth championship, perhaps as soon as this weekend in Austin, Alonso was asked to name the top five drivers in F1 history.

“Probably Michael (Schumacher), Fangio, Senna, Prost, Lewis, probably this will be the top five, probably, that come to my mind but it’s difficult to compare different times and different ways to win those championships,” the Spaniard said.

“Lewis winning five now and being the same as Fangio, as I said before, it’s a great achievement and if one had to do that in our generation, I’m happy that it’s Lewis because he showed the talent and he showed the commitment,” Alonso said.

ALSO READ:   Jeffrey Dean Morgan to return to 'Supernatural'

–IANS

ajb/bg

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *