Rio de Janeiro, Aug 19 (IANS) The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) has apologised for the actions of American swimmers who had claimed a false robbery in Rio during the ongoing Games.
US swimmer Ryan Lochte has previously claimed that he and three other Olympic swimmers — Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen — were robbed at gunpoint on Sunday by people claiming to be policemen, reports Sputnik.
Brazilian Chief of Civil Police Fernando Veloso said on Thursday the US Olympic swimmers’ claims of being robbed in Rio were false.
“The behaviour of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA or the conduct of the vast majority of its members. We will further review the matter, and any potential consequences for the athletes, when we return to the United States,” the USOC said in a Thursday statement.
“On behalf of the United States Olympic Committee, we apologise to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence.”
The USOC acknowledged that the swimmers were not robbed.