Kolkata, Dec 1 (IANS) Reacting to their former coach Antonio Lopez Habas’ comments ahead of their Indian Super League (ISL) football match against FC Pune City on Friday, Atletico de Kolkata (ATK) clarified why his services werent retained.
Habas led ATK to the title in 2014, following it up with a semi-final finish in 2015. There was a lot of talk about the Sourav Ganguly co-owned franchise retaining their mercurial coach but the deal eventually fell through paving the way for Jose Molina to take over the mantle this year.
Habas said earlier on Thursday in a press conference that, “I waited for ATK to call me, but the call never came.”
In a few hours, ATK reacted issuing a press release that said, “ATK would like to thank Antonio Habas for his services in the first 2 seasons of ISL.”
“However, for ISL Season 3 certain terms and conditions proposed by Mr. Habas were not acceptable to ATK. We wish him all the best for the future,” ATK’s Sports Director Alberto Marrero was quoted as saying in the statement.
ATK play against FC Pune City here on Friday.