Gurgaon, June 2 (IANS) Gurgaon district civil and police authorities on Thursday held a meeting with various Jat groups in the area ahead of the proposed renewal of the community’s agitation from June 5 for job quota.
The authorities appealed to the community leaders to maintain peace and harmony in the city.
Representatives of various Jat organisations assured of maintaining peace in Gurgaon.
The Jat Sangharsh Samiti has already decided to postpone its agitation till July 21 by when the Haryana government is going to file its reply on the issue in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Deputy Commissioner T.L. Satyaprakash told those present at the meeting that the state government has decided to intervene in a court case on the issue of reservation in government jobs and educational institutions, and hence there was no need to re-start the agitation.
He said no one was going to get public sympathy for their cause by blocking roads and railway tracks.
The deputy commissioner appealed to the Jat community not to get swayed by rumours and rather share information with district officials on the stir issue.
He said if the Jat representatives wished to hold protest demonstration, the district administration was ready to demarcate places where they can do so after informing officials in advance and after taking prior permission.
Satyaprakash said that the National Security Act had already been enforced in Haryana and no community or group should resort to activities that forced authorities to use force.
Earlier, on May 29, the Akhil Bharatiya Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti announced resumption of their agitation in Haryana from June 5.
During the violence in February during the Jat quota stir, at least 30 persons had died and property worth hundereds of crores of rupees was destroyed.