Azhar Mahmood backs disgraced Amir’s inclusion in training camp

Karachi, Dec. 26 (ANI): Former Pakistan all-rounder Azhar Mahmood has given his support to disgraced bowler Mohammad Amir, whose inclusion in the training camp saw divided opinions emerging from the national team.

Earlier, ODI skipper Azhar Ali and veteran batsman Mohammad Hafeez refused to train with the tainted left-hander, who was included in the 26-member national fitness camp for the upcoming limited-overs series against New Zealand.

However, Shahryar, who met both players ahead of their arrival at the training camp, said that the issue pertaining to Amir had been resolved, adding that senior players hold a greater responsibility to ensure Amir feels at ease.

Supporting the PCB’s decision, Mahmood said that it was time for everyone to move forward and give the young left-hander another chance, reported.

Mahmood also said that the PCB needs to stand firm even though their resolve would be tested. He added that the country’s cricket board needs to remind some players that the cricket team is not run by and does not belong to individuals.

Amir displayed impressive form in domestic matches as well as in the Bangladesh Premier League after ending his five-year ban for spot-fixing three months ago.

Considered as one of the most promising talents, Amir had taken 51 wickets in 14 Tests and 25 in 15 one-day internationals before he was handed a five-year ban for bowling deliberate no-balls by pre-arrangement during the fourth test against England at Lord’s in 2010. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply