Bolt preparation for Rio Games on course

Kingston (Jamaica), March 10 (IANS) Sprint icon Usain Bolt says his preparations for Rio’s Summer Olympics are on track, despite an ankle injury which kept him out of training recently.

The 29-year-old is bidding to become the first ever athlete to win the 100 and 200 metres titles at three consecutive Olympics, when he competes at the August 5-21 global event in Brazil, reports CMC.

“Training is going well, you know. I’ve really stepped up the tempo. I was out for a bit because of an ankle problem but everything is going smoothly now,” Bolt said here on Wednesday.

“I’m really focussed and I really want it, so I’m just pushing myself, working hard and hopefully my coach will give me the go ahead to compete very soon.”

The Jamaican swept both sprint titles in world record times at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and repeated his success four years later in London.

He then brushed aside talk of retirement to indicate that he would defend his titles at the Rio showpiece, setting the stage for one of the most anticipated Olympiads.

Long-time coach Glenn Mills said Bolt’s preparation would continue until August as the athlete looked to make up for lost time.

“The preparation is going to be going right down to the Olympics because he lost valuable time, but he’s back in training and we are pushing the envelope,” he said.

“Usain is highly motivated and he’s a special athlete so we’re expecting that come the right time he’ll be able to go out there again and do his thing.”

Mills also confirmed on Wednesday that Bolt would open his season in May, as part of the build-up to Rio.

“Usain will definitely compete in May but as to the actual date and time I am not able to say at this time,” he said.

Last year, Bolt swept both sprints at the Beijing World Championships, successfully defending the titles he won in Moscow two years prior.

He remains the world record holder in both sprints.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply