Boxer Vijender eyes third professional win

Manchester, Dec 18 (IANS) Indian boxing star Vijender Singh is expected to face a tough contest when he takes on experienced Bulgarian pugilist Samet Hyuseinov in his third professional bout at the Manchester Arena here on Saturday.

Vijender has enjoyed a superb start to his journey in the professional circuit, winning the first two bouts in comprehensive fashion. He defeated English boxer Sony Whiting on his debut by technical knockout (TKO) within three rounds.

The middleweight (75kg) star’s second bout was even shorter as he knocked out another British pugilist Dean Gillen in the first round.

But the fight against Samet is expected to be tougher as it will be a six-round affair. Vijender’s first two bouts were four-round affairs.

The Bulgarian is also more experienced in the professional circuit. He has fought 14 professional bouts so far, with seven wins and an equal number of losses.

“I have seen Samet’s record, it’s not impressive. Out of 14 fights, he has won seven, I don’t think it will be going to affect me. I have prepared hard this time and tried my new techniques. During three weeks of my training more focus was on sparring with some of my best fellow boxers,” Vijender said in a statement.

“I am ready and confident of giving Samet a tough time in the ring. He speaks a lot in the media about me, but all I can say is I am excited to go in the ring tomorrow and it will be an interesting fight this time for all the fans. I will show him what I can do in the ring. Fans will enjoy and watch another knockout,” he added.

“I am taking my professional career step by step. Fighting every month is good for me and it is helping me in getting more focused. I am settled now and used to the local conditions. Every day is a new learning for me and this learning process is really painful. I am excited to have my fight in India next year. I am sure that fight will be a huge boost for Indian boxing.”

Samet on his part, is confident of stopping Vijender’s winning run.

“I am not worried about taking on Vijender Singh as I have not seen his fight. I would never fight if I was always worried of my opponents. I’m a fighter that is what I do. He has two fights and two wins at some time he will get hit back and see how he reacts then. I take each fight as it comes,” the 29-year-old said.

“I don’t think Vijender is ready to fight someone like me yet and he is saying what he will do to me as if I don’t exist and he will stop me. I’m the most dangerous opponent to date for him. I am ready to knock out Vijender in the early rounds,” he added.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply