New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on Wednesday approved upgradation of 13 existing government Medical Colleges or Institutes (GMCIs) across the country.
The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The medical colleges would be upgraded under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY), according to an official statement.
The government has approved the upgradation of 13 colleges in eight states, three in Bihar, two each in Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Chhattisgarh. While one medical college of Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan would also be upgraded, the release said.
The government has set the time of 36 months for the upgradation of the medical colleges, it added.
The central government would share 60 per cent of the total cost of upgradation, while the rest of the 40 per cent would be shared by the state government, it said.
Under PMSSY, 58 government medical colleges have been approved for upgradation, of which, work in 16 colleges has been completed while in rest of the colleges the work is still in progress.