Car bomb attack on military in Turkish capital kills 28

Ankara (Turkey), Feb. 18 (ANI): At least 28 people were killed and dozens wounded when a car laden with explosives detonated here on Wednesday.

The Turkish military condemned the “terrorist attack” on the buses.

The attack, the latest in a series of bombings in the past year mostly blamed on the Islamic State, comes as Turkey gets dragged ever deeper into the war in neighbouring Syria and tries to contain some of the fiercest violence in decades in its predominantly Kurdish southeast, reported Reuters.

President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey’s determination to fight those behind such acts would only get stronger and that it would not hesitate to exercise its right to self defence.

“We will continue our fight against the pawns that carry out such attacks, which know no moral or humanitarian bounds, and the forces behind them with more determination every day,” he said in a written statement.

Deputy Prime Minister and government spokesman Numan Kurtulmus said 28 people including soldiers and civilians were killed and 61 wounded in the blast, which occurred near a busy intersection less than 500 meters from parliament during the evening rush hour.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag described the attack as an act of terrorism and told parliament, which was in session at the time, that the car had exploded on a part of the street lined on both sides by military vehicles.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, who had been due to attend meetings in Brussels on the migration crisis on Thursday, cancelled the trip, an official in his office said. Erdogan postponed a planned visit to Azerbaijan. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply