City coach Pellegrini says he knew Guardiola’s appointment ‘a month ago’

London, Feb 2 (IANS) Manchester City head coach Manuel Pellegrini has said that he knew “a month ago” that Spanish Pep Guardiola would replace him starting from next season, underling that the English football giants “are not doing anything behind” him.

Earlier on Monday, City announced in a statement on their official website that the Spanish coach has signed a three-year contract to lead the English side from July 1, 2016, reports Efe.

“There has been a lot of speculation about things, but they (the club) are not doing anything behind me,” Pellegrini said at a press conference ahead of Tuesday’s game against Sunderland in the 24th round of the English Premier League (EPL).

“I knew this one month ago,” the Chilean coach pointed out.

“I prefer to finish (by announcing) today — that is why I have told the press and told the players,” Pellegrini noted.

“We extended the contract one year more but with the clause that one of the club or me may not use that extended contract,” the 62-year-old coach explained.

“So, I will finish here on the original date, June 30,” Pellegrini added.

Pellegrini left Malaga in June 2013 to coach Man City, leading the English club to win a Premier League and League Cup double in 2014.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply