Crackdown on illegal import, sale of Chinese crackers

New Delhi, Oct 30 (IANS) The union government on Friday said raids had been conducted against illegal import and sale of spurious Chinese firecrackers across the country and crackers worth Rs.2 crore were seized.

“In pursuance of specific intelligence regarding large-scale smuggling of sub-standard Chinese-make firecrackers by way of concealment and mis-declaration, strict surveillance was maintained in local markets and raids conducted to seize firecrackers worth Rs.2 crore,” the ministry of finance said in a statement.

The raids were conducted at godowns in Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Trichy, Vijaywada, Madurai and Ludhiana.

Import of firecrackers in India is restricted by the ministry of commerce though imports can be allowed against a licence issued by it.

“The ministry of commerce has not issued any license in this regard so far to any importer. Besides harming the domestic industry, fireworks of foreign origin are hazardous in nature and jeopardise public safety and health,” the ministry said.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply