Johannesburg, Sept. 14 (ANI): A crestfallen Roger Federer has brushed aside talks of retirement, insisting that he will return to the US Open next year despite losing the pulsating finale against Novak Djokovic on Sunday.
Federer, who was aiming to end his three-year Grand Slam drought by notching up his 18th career major, suffered a 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 defeat to Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.
However, Federer said that he was pleased with the progress of his game, adding that it had been moving in the right direction as he was back in the final at US Open for the first time since 2009, Sport24 reported.
Although the Swiss maestro staged a stunning comeback to clinch the second set, he squandered too many chances to lose the momentum in the next set. He managed to convert just four of 23 break point opportunities.
Djokovic also saw another comeback from Federer despite breaking the Swiss twice to lead 5-2 in the fourth.
Djokovic then held his nerve as the 17-time Grand Slam champion squandered three more chances to level at 5-5, which subsequently paved the way for the Serbian to win his 10th career Grand Slam and third of the year .
Federer, who has won five tour titles this year, still believes that he has what it takes to beat the top players of the world.
The world number two said that he had won the tournaments he was supposed to, adding that he hopes to finish the season on a high note again. (ANI)