Disappointing that Pillai is distancing from affidavit: Chidambaram

New Delhi, Feb. 29 (ANI): Taking responsibility for the second affidavit in the Ishrat Jahan case, former finance minister P. Chidambaram on Monday said that it was disappointing that the then home secretary G.K. Pillai is distancing himself from it.

“Which part of the second affidavit is wrong? I accept the responsibility for this affidavit. It is disappointing that the Home Secretary, who is equally responsible, wants to distance himself from that,” Chidambaram told the media here.

“It was brought to my notice that the first affidavit was filed without my approval and it was being misinterpreted. It was my duty to correct the first affidavit. So we filed a supplementary affidavit after consulting the Home Secretary, the Director of Intelligence Bureau and other officers,” he added.

Chidambaram further stated that the Central Government in the said affidavit did not address any issue relating to the merits or otherwise in the police action.

“It was essentially concerned with dealing with the allegations relating to the intelligence inputs which were available with the central government and that was shared on a regular basis with the state government,” he said.

Pillai served under then home minister P. Chidambaram in 2009 when the government filed two affidavits in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.

Chidambaram had earlier told a leading English daily that he felt it was possible to hold an ‘honest opinion’ in the Afzal Guru case and that the case was ‘perhaps not correctly decided’ and that there were ‘grave doubts about the extent of his involvement’ in the 2001 Parliament attack.

Ishrat Jahan, who was a resident of Mumbra near Mumbai, was shot dead along with three men on June 15, 2004, by the Gujarat Police in an encounter. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply