According to the City’s Animal Care and Control By-law 0098-04, no pet can be left outdoors during extreme weather unless the animal has access to adequate shelter. Pet owners could be liable for a variety of offences.
Here are some hot weather tips for dog owners:
- Avoid strenuous outdoor activities with your pet.
- Provide shade and cool water for your pet at all times.
- Avoid pavement or surfaces that may burn sensitive paws.
- Dogs with light pigments or short hair can suffer sunburn.
- Bulldog or similar breeds may be more susceptible to breathing difficulties.
- Remember: Never leave your pet alone in the car during extreme hot weather. It is not only dangerous but can be deadly and it’s against the law.
To report a pet in a vehicle, call Police or Mississauga Animal Services at 905-896-5858. For emergencies, call 911. – CINEWS