Pills recovered from Prince’s Paisley Park estate were falsely labelled and actually contained a drug 50 times more potent than heroin, officials have revealed.
A number of tablets discovered throughout the musician’s Minneapolis home tested positive for the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl, an offical speaking on condition of anonymity said.
Post-mortem results in June revealed Prince, 57, died of an accidental fentanyl overdose.
Records show Prince had no prescription for any controlled substances in the state of Minnesota in the 12 months before he died and it remains unclear how he obtained the drugs.
Fentanyl has been partly responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths in some parts of the US. When made into counterfeit pills, users don’t always know they’re taking fentanyl, increasing the risk of fatal overdose.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune said: “It seems more and more likely that Prince became a casualty of what is being called a new national crisis of deadly counterfeit pills.” Around a dozen tablets were found in a dressing room in Paisley Park.
The vast majority, however, were found inside aspirin and vitamin bottles tucked in a suitcase and bags, including one that Prince often carried with him.