EU officials postpone Turkey visit after attacks

Brussels, Oct 11 (IANS) European Commission (EC) First Vice-President Frans Timmermans and Commissioner Johannes Hahn have postponed a visit to Turkey slated for Sunday after the deadly attacks in Ankara that killed 95 people.

The announcement was made by the commission here earlier in the day, Xinhua news agency reported.

The visit by the officials was scheduled to continue negotiations over a draft action plan on tackling refugee crisis proposed by EC President Jean-Claude Juncker to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on October 5.

The EC said it hoped to be able to reschedule the visit for next week.

“We extend our sincere condolences to the families of the victims and wish a speedy recovery to those injured. Our sympathy goes to the Turkish people and authorities,” said the commission press release.

The explosions on Saturday rocked a train station in central Ankara where several unions, civic society organisations and pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party were due to hold a rally protesting conflict between the state and Kurdish militants in southeast Turkey.

Toll of the twin blasts has risen to 95 so far with over 200 others injured.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply