Explosions continue to rock Kabul

Kabul, Sep 6 (IANS) A massive, third explosion was heard in the centre of Kabul city late Monday night, hours after back-to-back explosions left at least 30 persons dead and over 90 wounded.

Security sources said the blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives that was detonated in the city’s Shahr-e-Naw area, Khaama Press reported.

The Ministry of Interior said early Tuesday that the target of Monday night’s bombing in Kabul city appears to have been a charity by the name of CARE (Pamlarana), Tolo news reported.

Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said at least one civilian was killed and one other wounded. However, there were no details on how many people are inside the Pamlarana building.

He said the organisation was targeted in a bombing and attackers then entered the building in Shar-e-Naw.

Sporadic gun firing and explosions were also heard early Tuesday as security forces exchanged fire with gunmen who seized a building in central Kabul, a security source said.

“One terrorist detonated a car bomb at a building in Shar-e-Naw locality late Monday night. Several gunmen took position inside the stricken building… Afghan Special Operation Forces were clearing the area,” the source told Xinhua news agency.

According to the preliminary reports the target of the explosion was a guesthouse but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

Earlier on Monday, twin explosions rocked the city close to the Ministry of Defence compound, leaving at least 30 people dead, with the majority of the victims said to be security personnel.



Related Posts

Leave a Reply