Kabul, Sep 6 (IANS) A massive, third explosion was heard in the Kabul city late Monday night, hours after back-to-back explosions left at least 30 persons dead and over 90 wounded.
Security sources said the blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives that was detonated in the city’s Shahr-e-Naw area, Khaama Press reported.
The Ministry of Interior said Tuesday that the target of Monday night’s bombing in Kabul city appears to have been a charity by the name of CARE (Pamlarana), Tolo news reported.
Four attackers were killed, reported Xinhua news agency.
“One terrorist was killed after detonating a car bomb near Pamlarana, an NGO office building, late Monday night and three attackers were killed by security forces during a counter-attack which ended Tuesday morning,” the ministry said in a statement.
One civilian was also killed and six others injured in the attack and firefight which lasted 11-hour, it said.
Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi the organisation was targeted in a bombing and attackers then entered the building in Shar-e-Naw.
At least 42 persons were rescued during the operation, including 10 foreigners, he added.
Sporadic gun firing and explosions were also heard early Tuesday as security forces exchanged fire with gunmen who seized a building in central Kabul, a security source said.
Traffic was blocked in several parts of the city and schools were closed.
No group has admitted to carrying out the attack, BBC reported.
Earlier on Monday, twin explosions rocked the city close to the Ministry of Defence compound, leaving at least 30 people dead, with the majority of the victims said to be security personnel.