Johannesburg, Mar.6 (ANI): Formula One bosses have approved the new qualifying format for this year’s world championship despite receiving a flurry of disapprovals on the changes.
In a bid to increase the amount of action during qualifying, the FIA had earlier proposed the new qualifying format, which will see the slowest drivers eliminated every 90 seconds after a timed period.
According to Sport24, the qualifying process will be split into three segments, where the slowest driver would be eliminated one by one every minute-and-a-half rather than being dismissed at the end of each session.
Reflecting his disappointment on the same, former world doubles champion Fernando Alonso believes that making too many changes in the qualifying format within one week would bring confusion among the fans.
Earlier, reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton had expressed his views on the new format and said that he did not think the changes would make a greater difference.
The 31-year-old, however, said he hopes that the new development would generate more excitement among the spectators.
The new rules will be introduced in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 20. (ANI)