As more people than ever before gravitate toward fresh produce over processed foods, farmers markets have become more popular.
Across the GTA there are numerous farmers markets in convenient locations. Here are some of them:
• The Backyard Farm and Market at Erin Mills, 2520 Eglinton Ave. E., Mississauga – Open June 13 to October 3, on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• City of Brampton Mount Pleasant Village Market at 100 Commuter Dr., Brampton – Open June 20 to October 10, on Thursdays from 4 to 8 p.m.
• Lions Farmers Market at 4190 Shipp Dr., Mississauga – Open June 2 to October 27, on Sundays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additional location is Celebration Square, 300 City Centre Dr., Mississauga – Open June 5 to October 16, on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Streetsville Lions Farmers Market at 128 Queen St. S., Mississauga – Open June 1 to October 12, on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• St. Lawrence Market Farmers’ Market at 93 Front St. E., Toronto – Every Saturday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. The market is inside the large tent between Market and Lower Jarvis streets. If you get there close to closing time, you can look for end-of-day offers from some vendors.
• John Street Farmers’ Market at St. George-the-Martyr Anglican Church, 197 John St., Toronto –Open every Wednesday from 3:30 to 7 p.m. It has a relaxed environment with live music, a play area for children and cafe seating if you can’t wait to bite into your purchases. The market is also near the Art Gallery of Ontario, so you can enjoy some Canadian art before picking up some local and fresh produce.
• Nathan Phillips Square Farmers’ Market at 100 Queen St. W., Toronto –Open every Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enjoy fresh food in the heart of downtown with vendors offering cheeses, breads, honey, fruits and flowers. Ontario Farm Fresh updates its website with products currently available at the market. -CINEWS