Lucknow, Aug 15 (IANS) Five persons died of electrocution in Uttar Pradesh’s Auraiyya district, police said on Monday.
According to police, a high-tension wire had snapped on Sunday evening at Lachiamau village and a lineman – Guddu, was trying to repair it.
When Guddu climbed the pole, some villagers were holding the wire and helping him in the repair-work. Suddenly, the power house switched on the electricity supply and that led to the death of five villagers.
Of the five electrocuted, three are from the same family.
The deceased have been identified as Guddu, 27, Brijesh Kumar, 38, Shyamu, 18, Shivam, 12, and Satya Prakash, 28.
Angered over the incident, the villagers staged a sit-in and blocked the traffic.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has condoled the loss of lives and announced a financial assistance of Rs 3 lakh each to the families of the victims.