Flu-hit Serena withdraws from Qatar Open

Johannesburg, Feb.16 (ANI): World number one Serena Williams has pulled out of next week’s Qatar Open due to flu.

Confirming the news, the 34-year-old said that she was suffering from flu and was not feeling fit enough to play the Qatar Open.

Serena said that she needed some time to recover, but added that she was looking forward to meet her fans soon,Sport24 reported.

The 21-time Grand slam champion was a finalist at the 2013 tournament where she lost in three sets to Victoria Azarenka.

Expressing his disappointment over Serena’s withdrawal, tournament Director Saad al-Mohannadi admitted that they would miss the presence of the American.

With the withdrawal, Simona Halep, the world number two, replaces Williams as the Qatar Open top-seed.

Earlier this week, Serena had also pulled-out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis tournament due to the same reason.

The Qatar Open is slated to be held from February 21 to February 27. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply