Gauhati HC stays Arunachal assembly proceedings

Itanagar/ Guwahati, Dec 17 (IANS) The political drama in Arunachal Pradesh for the last two days came to an end on Thursday after the Gauhati High Court stayed the proceedings of the state’s legislative assembly till February 1.

The high court single bench of Justice Hrishikesh Roy passed the order while hearing a writ petition filed by Supreme Court advocate Kapil Sibal on behalf of Arunachal Pradesh Speaker Nabam Rebia.

Rebia, in his petition, alleged that Governor J.P. Rajkhowa summoned the winter session of the assembly without consulting Chief Minister Nabam Tuki and his council of ministers and that it was done at the behest of a certain political party.

The court will hear the next arguments on February 2 next year.

The high voltage political drama in Arunachal Pradesh, however, continued, as 34 legislators including Deputy Speaker T. Norbu Thongdok, 20 Congress legislators, 11 BJP legislators and two Independent legislators took part in the second day of the “winter session” of the assembly at a hotel conference hall.

During Thursday’s proceedings, Leader of Opposition Tamiyo Taga of the BJP tabled a no confidence motion against Chief Minister Tuki and his council of ministers, which was adopted in the house.

“Since April, members of the assembly have been experiencing lack of confidence in the council of ministers led by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki,” Taga said.

“Because of his (Tuki’s) bad governance, nepotism and corruption, members are gradually withdrawing their support from him.

“It was a government with absolute majority of 47 members but looking at the situation, we are compelled to bring this motion,” Taga said.

He supported rebel Congress legislator Kalikho Pul as the next chief minister. Independent member Paknga Bage also extended his support to Pul.

The deputy speaker then called for the chief minister and ministers to participate in the discussion on the motion but they were absent.

After the motion was adopted, Thongdok adjourned the house sine die.

The “winter session” began at a community hall on Wednesday as the state assembly building was sealed by the district administration as per directions of Speaker Nabam Rebia.

The 33 legislators of the 60-member house — with Deputy Speaker Thongdok in the chair — had on Wednesday passed an impeachment motion against Rebia by a voice vote.

The venue was, however, shifted to a hotel with permission from the governor as some miscreants vandalised the community hall on Wednesday night.

Chief Minister Tuki and the other 25 Congress legislators, however, remained away from the “session”, terming it illegal and unconstitutional.

Tuki on Thursday wrote to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking their intervention in the matter.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply