Madrid, April 23 (IANS) Romania’s Simona Halep continued to lead the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) singles rankings released on Monday with 8,140 points, followed by Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki.
This week’s ranking list brought no changes to the top 10, as Spaniard Garbiñe Muguruza came in third, ahead of fourth-placed Elina Svitolina of Ukraine and fifth-placed Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia, reports Efe.
On Sunday, Muguruza secured Spain’s place in World Group II of the Fed Cup after her playoff win over Paraguay’s Veronica Cepede in straight sets 7-6 (2), 6-0.
United States’ Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens remained in the eighth and ninth places, respectively.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 8,140
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 6,790
3. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 6,065
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,630
5. Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 5,307
6. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,730
7. Caroline Garcia (France) 4,615
8. Venus Williams (USA) 4,276
9. Sloane Stephens (USA) 3,938
10. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 3,271.