New Delhi, Jan. 21 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy on Thursday said that Hizb-ul-Mujahideen chief Sayeed Salahuddin’s claim that his outfit was responsible for the January 1 and 2, 2016 terror strike in Pathankot, Punjab, should be dismissed and disregarded.
“I don’t think we should bother about statements of everybody and anybody who gives it, let them claim credit, do hell with it. They are here because they are being fed like their pets of the Pakistan government,” Swamy told ANI here.
“They (HuM) are just the pets who wag their tail and bark and bite at the masters instruction. We have to fix the master and for that we need time, and we need to prepare for that,” he added
Salahuddin had earlier taken responsibility for the Pathankot attack, calling it ‘a continuation of their activity, targeting Indian military installations’.
He has also criticised Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s “Kashmir policy”. These comments are part of an interview given to the Urdu news portal, Wajood, based in Pakistan.
The militant commander is also the head of the United Jihad Council, an amalgam of militant outfits operating in Kashmir.
The claim of responsibility was met with a sceptical response among India’s security establishment, which blames another group called Jaish-e-Mohammed.
Last week, Pakistan arrested the head of Jaish-e-Mohammed as well as several other leaders of the group and shut down offices and seminaries linked to the outfit.
“We are at a loss to understand whether they (the Pakistan government) are concerned about the interests of the country that feeds them or that of its enemy?” Salahuddin told at a news conference, referring to the government’s crackdown.
“Pakistan is not only an advocate but also a party to the longstanding Kashmir dispute and therefore the Pakistani people, government and media should play the role of a patron rather than of an adversary.”
Heavily armed terroriusts attacked the Pathankot Air Force Station, part of the Western Air Command of the Indian Air Force between January 1 and 4, 2016.
Four attackers and six security personnel were killed in the gun battle that was spread over a period of three days
Initially, the terrorists were suspected to belong to the Islamist militant group Jaish-e-Mohammed, but later the United Jihad Council claimed responsibility for the attack.
The security operation lasted till January 4 and end after a fifth attacker was confirmed killed.
Media reports thensuggested that the attack was an attempt to derail a fragile peace process meant to stabilise the deteriorated relations between India and Pakistan. (ANI)