India among top 3 for inadmissibility concerns: CBSA

Views: 530

A Canada Border Services Agency intelligence report from its Intelligence Operations and Analysis Division, “Indian Nationals in Canada: Serious Criminality & Organized Crime Inadmissibility Concerns – February 10, 2017” says that “despite most countries showing a drop in inadmissibility reports, reports issued against nationals of India for serious criminality and organized crime increased, making India a top source country for serious inadmissibility concerns.”

For the last 20 years, India has been in the top three source countries for Permanent Residents (PR) and a top source country for refugee claimants. Similar to most other source countries, the number of PR and Refugee claimants has been steadily increasing over the past five years, therefore the increase in arrivals itself does not necessarily explain the rise in inadmissibility reports in 2016. Overall, most of the reports issued were for offences inside Canada, with the majority for convictions that occurred prior to 2016. Other possible contributing factors towards the increase may be duplication of reports, delays in issuing inadmissibility reports and the fact that the overall national crime rate increased in 2015.”

ALSO READ:   Ontario Chamber of Commerce pushes for repeal of Minimum Wage Bill

The report goes on to note: “The majority (63%) of individuals issued an inadmissibility report entered through the PR stream. Many were sponsored by a spouse (FC1) or their children / grandchildren (FC4). Most (76%) arrived in Canada prior to 2015, mainly between 2000 and 2010, and at the time of arrival were generally between the ages of 18 and 29. With the exception of two reports, all were written against men, mostly between the ages of 18 and 45 years. The majority of individuals came into contact with law enforcement within the first five years of their arrival.”

“Most (76%) convictions fell under the Criminal Code of Canada and ranged from assault with a weapon or causing bodily harm to offences tending to corrupt morals such as child pornography and luring a child, among others. The remaining 24% of convictions fell under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, IRPA and crimes committed outside Canada, namely in the United States and India. Criminal record checks in India are difficult to obtain, it is therefore possible that more individuals had criminality in India. Drug related convictions were for possession for the purpose of trafficking and importing and exporting (namely heroin and cocaine). The most common convictions or allegations that fell under IRPA were linked to people smuggling. In one case, partners presented themselves as parents and trafficked children on behalf of a larger organization that facilitated the illegal entry of numerous children from India to the U.S. and Canada.”

ALSO READ:   New junk removal business opens in Brampton
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *