Injured civilian dies, no fresh violence in Kashmir Valley

Views: 14

Srinagar, July 20 (IANS) One more person, injured earlier in shooting by security forces, died in a hospital here on Wednesday, taking the toll to 45 in the ongoing unrest that has gripped the Kashmir Valley since the July 8 killing of a top militant commander.

Separatist leaders have extended the shutdown call till Monday and called for a march to Anantnag.

Officials at Srinagar’s S.M.H.S. hospital told IANS that Ghulam Mohammad Mir, 51, of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district, succumbed to his injuries in the afternoon. He was injured on Saturday when security forces fired at a protesting mob in the frontier district.

Kashmir Valley has been on the boil for nearly two weeks now amid widespread protests, separatist shutdown, and a government-imposed curfew following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani and his two militant aides.

ALSO READ:   Norwegian ex-junkies build women's toilet in Mumbai

Life across the Valley has been paralysed though no fresh protests were reported since Tuesday.

Key separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, in a joint media statement on Wednesday, extended the shutdown call till Monday. However, they asked people “to stock whatever they can in a few hours” from Thursday 2 p.m. when shops will be allowed to open.

They also announced a march to Anantnag on Monday.

In view of the separatists asking people to hold protests, authorities have decided not to relax the curfew in the Valley, fearing the separatist-sponsored protests may trigger more violence.

The Kashmir Valley went without newspapers for the fifth day running on Wednesday even as the authorities lifted the alleged media curb a day ago.

ALSO READ:   Andhra signs over Rs 4 lakh cr MoUs at Partnership Summit

But the newspapers published from here are expected to hit the stands on Thursday after the government assured editors and publishers that their work won’t be hindered by the heightened security.

However, internet services on all mobile phones remained cut off for the ninth day. Calling facility on mobile phones has also remained suspended during this period except for limited facility on post-paid mobile phones provided by state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).

Train services between Baramulla town in the valley and Banihal in Jammu region also remained suspended for the 13th day.



Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *