Iranian court rejects appeal of Saudi embassy attackers

Views: 5

Tehran, July 31 (IANS) An Iranian court on Monday rejected the appeal of ten persons sentenced to jail for attacking the Saudi Arabian embassy here last year, the media reported.

Earlier, the court had examined the charges against 19 persons and convicted ten of them, Xinhua news agency reported.

Five of them were sentenced to six months in prison, while five others were handed down three-month sentences, their lawyer Mostafa Shabani said.

Shabani said that four other suspects were clergymen, whose case has been examined by the country’s Special Clerical Court.

Tehran’s Prosecutor General Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi said the police held 40 suspects for disturbing public order and causing destruction to Saudi Arabian diplomatic property.

Saudi Arabia on January 4, 2016, snapped diplomatic ties with Iran a day after angry Iranian protesters stormed and set fire to the Saudi embassy here to protest the execution of a Shia leader by Riyadh.

–IANS

py/vt

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *