New York, Sept. 5 (ANI): Syria’s antiquities chief Maamoun Abdulkarim has said that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) blew up another three ancient funeral towers in the city of Palmyra.
According to The New York Times, Unesco has condemned the earlier destruction of a World Heritage site by ISIS, saying it was a war crime committed by the terror group.
Abdulkarim said that the militants, who had already destroyed two Roman-era temples in the city, blew up the tombs, which date from between A.D. 44 and 103.
ISIS earlier blew up the ancient Temple of Baal and the Temple of Baalshamin, according to a United Nations analysis of satellite images. (ANI)