Jat unrest: Govt appeals to protestors to shun violence, exercise restraint

New Delhi, Feb. 19 (ANI): With violent protests by the Jat community demanding reservation under the Other Backward Classes (OBC) throwing normal life out of gear in Haryana, Minister for State for Agriculture Sanjeev Baliyan on Friday urged the people to shun violence and exercise restraint.

Asserting that the both state and the Central Governments are in support of the reservation, the BJP Member of Parliament from Muzaffarnagar said that modalities are being worked out to resolve the crisis.

“The events unfolding in Haryana are unfortunate. I would like to appeal to all that violence is not the solution. Whether it is Haryana Government, Centre or the BJP, everyone wants that reservation should be given. We are working to resolve the matter, and soon we will arrive at a solution,” he told ANI.

“The people should exercise restraint. I would like to urge people (who are blocking the roads) to go back home,” he added.

Meanwhile, the government has rushed Army to nine location in the state, including Rohtak, Jind, Jhajjar, Bhiwani, Hissar, Kaithal, Sonepat, Panipat and Karnal, to contain the situation.

The strike, into the sixth day today, has crippled road and rail traffic across the state and shut down educational institutions in many places.

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar had earlier in the day appealed to agitators to maintain law and order and a peaceful atmosphere in the state while chairing an all party meet to discuss the ongoing Jats reservation strike in Jhajjar and Rohtak.

The pro-reservation protests by Jats in Haryana had turned violent on Thursday, with several people being injured and reports of clashes between protesters and police personnel in Rohtak. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply