Kesha and Dr. Luke’s legal battle experienced a surprise turn of events on Monday. The “Timber” singer filed to dismiss her sexual assault lawsuit against the producer in California, according to multiple reports.
“Kesha has dismissed her California action without prejudice while she pursues her appeal and other legal claims in the New York courts,” the pop star’s counsel, Daniel Petrocelli, said in an official statement to Rolling Stone. “Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label. We have conveyed to Sony and the label Kesha’s strong desire to release her next album and single as soon as possible.”
Kesha also tweeted, “My fight continues. I need to get my music out. I am continuing to fight for my rights in New York. Thank you for all your support.” As the news broke, Dr. Luke’s legal team spoke out slamming Kesha for her “false and meritless” claims.
“If Kesha is voluntarily dismissing her claims in the California case, it is because she has no chance of winning them,” Christine Lepera said in a statement to E! News. “Earlier this year, she lost her meritless counterclaims against Dr. Luke in the New York Action. Recently, the California Court invited Dr. Luke and the other defendants to move to dismiss Kesha’s claims in that action. Kesha never should have brought her false and meritless claims against Dr. Luke in any court. Dr. Luke’s defamation and other claims against Kesha are still proceeding.”
For nearly four years, Kesha has remained bound to Dr. Luke and his Kemosabe label under Sony Music. And while she has been able to perform at select events like the 2016 Billboard Music Awards, the singer hasn’t been able to release new music as the case continues.
Niall Horan is not pleased after a recent incident on a plane ride left him feeling as though his privacy was invaded.