Kolkata, April 10 (IANS) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Monday filed a supplementary chargesheet before a city court against three more accused in the Khagragarh blast in West Bengal over two and a half years back.
Two of the accused M. Rubel and Sahidul S. are residents of Bangladesh and Jahidul S. hails from Assam, NIA sources said, adding they have been charged with waging war against the state and other crimes.
“Our investigation has revealed that they were part of the overall conspiracy,” said senior NIA special prosecutor Tamal Kanti Mukherjee.
The NIA court had earlier framed charges against 30 accused in connection with the blast, that had blown the lid off an alleged conspiracy by the Jamaat-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) against the elected government in the neighbouring nation.
Twenty of the accused are in jail, while ten others are still untraced. Those against charges have been framed include two women, sources said.
The accidental blast took place inside a house in Burdwan district’s Khagragarh on October 2, 2014, killing two JMB militants and injuring another.
The NIA had filed its first chargsheet in the case before a designated special court on March 30, 2015, naming 21 people including four Bangladeshi nationals” for their involvement in the JMB conspiracy to overthrow the existing democratic government in Bangladesh through violent terrorist acts and replace it with a hard-line Sharia-based Islamic rule.
It lodged a supplementary chargesheet on July 23, 2015, against six accused persons – including one Bangladeshi national – for their involvement in the JMB conspiracy.
In December, 2015, the NIA filed its second supplementary charge sheet, slapping fresh charges against 28 accused for waging war against Bangladesh.
During the investigation, statement of 460 witnesses were recorded and Aover 3,800 pages of documents and material evidence produced before the court.
Three persons arrested by the NIA on suspicion they had a hand in the conspiracy were later set free.