Killed woman’s family, neighbours protest against Delhi Police

Views: 48

New Delhi Sep 21 (IANS) A day after a young woman was fatally stabbed 26 times by a jilted lover in broad daylight, her family members along with hundreds of locals on Wednesday protested against Delhi Police.

After performing the last rites of Karuna in Nigambodh Ghat, the family and neighbours also held a candle march vigil in the evening at Sant Nagar area near Burari police station.

There was heavy police deployment in the area to prevent any untoward incident, a senior police officer said.

Earlier, hundreds of agitated people, including family members, relatives and neighbours, of the woman started to assemble at the busy intersection near Burari police station and held a protest with keeping the body at the centre of the road.

ALSO READ:   7 dead as bus overturns, catches fire

They were demanding the arrest of two other persons who allegedly helped the accusd Surender in the murder of Karuna.

The protest led to traffic jams throughout the area and other roads leading to Burari in the afternoon.

“Two other men who were involved with Surender in the murder are still absconding, while police are trying to save them saying that he was alone when he committed the crime. The police should have examined his messages, call detail records can give major clue about the co-accused involved in the crime. Police are not investigating this matter fairly,” Vinay, the deceased’s uncle, alleged.

Vinay said “Someone in Sant Nagar also knows Surender who used to share with him the whereabouts and activities of Karuna, are co-accused in the case. Police should also arrest them. We have earlier complained to police against Surender but police did not take strict action against him which resulted in the killing of Karuna.”

ALSO READ:   Militants hurl grenade at police station in Kashmir

DCP- North District, Madhur Verma said no one was detained by the police during the protest. Police had to resort to mild lathi charge to disperse the mob.

Surender was remanded to police custody for four days.



Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *