Srinagar, Oct. 29 (ANI): The security forces and the intelligence agencies have been complimented for killing top Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Abu Qasim, who was accused of masterminding the recent attack in Udhampur.
Qasim was killed in an overnight encounter in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir yesterday.
“This is an achievement of our security forces. The way two Pakistani militants were nabbed in Kashmir last week, I feel the intelligence agencies and police are doing good work,” said BJP MP Satyapal Singh.
Singh, who is the former Mumbai police commissioner, added that the security forces must be complimented for their good work.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi reiterated the government’s commitment for zero tolerance against terrorism, saying ‘the security forces were capable enough to give befitting reply to those who try to disturb the security and integrity of the country’.
“He may be a mastermind but the police would send him and associates to the place they belong to,” he added.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police killed Qasim in an encounter in Kulgam.
“On specific information that the J and K Police had developed, a joint search and cordon operation was launched in village Khandepura of district Kulgam yesterday evening. In a short gun battle that lasted for few minutes, one of the terrorist was killed,” Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir range, Javid Mujtaba Gilani told the media here.
“The terrorist killed has been identified. He is Abu Qasim. His real name is Abdul Rehman he was a resident of Bahawalpur Multan and he was the topmost active militant of the Lashkar-e-Toiba in Kashmir,” Javid Gilani added.
Javid Gilani also said that Qasim was active in the valley for last five years and was the mastermind behind that attack on the BSF convoy in Udhampur.
“In addition to this, on October 7 this year, there was an attack in Bandipora where we lost one of our officer Mohammed Altaf; Abu Qasim was involved in that attack also. He was also involved in the attack at Army convoy in Haiderpura in 2013 in which eight army personnel had lost their lives ,” he added.
The Inspector General also pointed out that all operations in last three years by the Lashkar-e-Toiba were carried out either under Qasim’s guidance or his supervision.
“This is a major success for us, because the main operative of the Lashkar-e-Toiba who was instrumental in so many attacks has been neutralised,” he added.
Javid Gilani further said that other accomplices may have managed to get back but the cordon was still intact.
“Our search operations are on and we suspect there are couple of more terrorist hiding in that area,” he added. (ANI)