Literacy levels rises among India’s disabled: Report

New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Literacy levels among India’s disabled population have gone up considerably with both men and women attaining a new high even in higher educational levels.

“Out of the total disabled population of 2.68 crore in Census 2011, 1.46 crore (54.5 percent) are literates and the remaining 1.22 crore (45.5 percent) are illiterates,” said the Census 2011 data released by the Registrar General of India (RGI) on Friday.

A decade ago, the percentage of literates among disabled population was 49.3 percent and the remaining 50.7 percent were illiterates, it added.

The Census report shows that not only the percentage of literates has increased for both males and females during the decade 2001-2011 but also their attainment in higher educational levels has improved.

–IANS

sk/pgh/vm

Related Posts

Leave a Reply