Maharashtra Govt. holds good chance in Salman hit-and-run case: Abha Singh

Mumbai, Feb. 5 (ANI): Women’s rights activist and lawyer Abha Singh on Friday said the Maharashtra Government holds a good chance in the 2002 hit-and-run case involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan as the Bombay High Court has erred by citing loopholes and not going into the legal merits of this matter.

Singh said the hearing in this case where the Maharashtra Government has gone against the order of the Bombay High Court has been postponed to February 12.

“The Maharashtra Government has called the Bombay High Court order perverse, not good in law citing the various loopholes because the Bombay High Court did not go into the legal merits of the case, it just cited the loopholes, it used the basis of procedure to dismiss the case to let Salman Khan go scot-free,” she told ANI here.

The senior advocate said the Maharashtra Government felt there was enough evidence, which could have fixed Salman Khan in this case.

“But in this case, by not taking the statement of Ravindra Patil, by not relying on the Indian evidence act; the Bombay High Court has erred. But the very fact that the hearing has taken place for a short while and it is going to be taken up again on 12th February it clearly shows that there is enough legal ground to make the case heavy against Salman Khan and the Maharashtra Government would hold a good chance in this case,” he added.

The Maharashtra Government today argued in the Supreme Court that Salman’s acquittal in the 2002 hit-and-run case is a ‘travesty of justice’.

Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi described the Bombay High Court December order, overturning the actor’s guilty verdict, as ‘perverse’.

The Maharashtra Government has challenged the High Court’s verdict. The case will be heard next Friday.

The 50-year-old actor had earlier moved the apex court, saying he should be heard before any hearing on the Maharashtra Government’s petition challenging his acquittal in the case.

The Maharashtra Government had on January 22 filed a petition in the apex court against the Bombay High Court’s judgement acquitting Salman of ‘all charges’, overturning the trial court’s order sentencing him for five years.

Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had announced that his government would challenge the High Court’s verdict on its merits.

On December 10 last year, Salman was given a clean chit in the case with the court observing that the main witness was ‘wholly unreliable’ and that there were discrepancies in the case.

The actor is accused of driving a car under the influence of alcohol and killing one and injuring four others in Bandra, Mumbai, in 2002. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply