Berlin, July 23 (IANS) Munich Police said that the man who killed nine people and injured several others in a shooting rampage at a mall in the German city of Munich has committed suicide and was likely lone shooter.
“We found a man, who killed him himself. We assume, that he was the only shooter. #gunfire #munich,” the police tweeted.
Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters early Saturday that nine people were killed on Friday evening by a gunman who took his own life when he encountered police, raising the toll to a total of 10.
A total of 21 people were injured, he said, including three who were in serious condition.
The police chief said that the gunman was 18-year-old Iranian from Munich who had been living in Munich for longer than two years, CNN reported.
“Police don’t believe the gunman, an 18-year-old German-Iranian, had any accomplices,” he noted.
The motive for the shootings was unclear, the police president said, adding that 2,300 law enforcement officials responded to the incident, BBC reported.
The police president also said that two people seen fleeing the scene in a vehicle were initially considered to be suspects.
According to CNN, “On the basis of witness reports and CCTV footage” a man found dead near the scene is considered to be the suspect. Police currently believe nobody else was involved.