New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) The Kochi Biennale Foundation on Thursday dropped its enquiry of alleged sexual harassment against artist and Kochi Biennale co-founder Riyas Komu, who had reportedly resigned recently after stepping down from all managerial position in October last year following the allegations, a statement said.
The statement from the KBF board of trustees said that after anonymous allegations in the media, Komu had stepped down from all management positions at the Kochi Biennale Foundation on October 19, 2018.
“In the trustee meeting convened soon after, it was decided that Lizzie Jacob, trustee and former Chief Secretary of Kerala, and Chair of the Internal Complaints Committee, would proactively seek the complaint and authorise an inquiry.
“Since no complaint was forthcoming after pursuing the matter for several weeks, the ICC recommended the dropping of the inquiry suggested by the Foundation. This recommendation has been examined and has been accepted by the board of trustees at its meeting today,” it said.
The Foundation also said that it looks forward to “Riyas Komu resuming his roles at the Kochi Biennale Foundation”.
Anonymous allegations against Komu had surfaced last year on Instagram account ‘Scene and Here’s, prompting him to step down “till the matter is resolved”. As per the allegation, the artist had forcibly kissed a woman in a hotel room.
In October, the Kerala-born artist had shared on Instagram that he was “deeply upset that this incident has been understood and presented in this manner”.
“However, as the person has expressed hurt, I would like here to offer my apologies and I am opening myself to the possibility of a conversation.”
The fourth edition of the renowned art Biennale closed on Thursday after opening in December.