“Expanding on-street metered parking will enable the City to manage the increasing demand for parking in the Port Credit area. It will also encourage parking space turnover which is beneficial for everyone – local businesses, residents and visitors,” explained Jamie Brown, Manager Municipal Parking.
The expanded parking is part of the implementation of the City’s Parking Strategy Phase II – Port Credit and Lakeview and includes:
- Extending hours from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Saturday (currently hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Adding paid parking on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (currently there is no charge for parking on Sundays)
- Extending the maximum parking time limit to three hours (currently the maximum parking limit is two hours)
- Increasing rates from $1 to $1.50 for the first two hours and then $2 for the third hour
- Expanding and installing on-street metered parking north of Lakeshore Rd. E. between Stavebank Rd. and Hurontario St.
“The changes to expanding on-street parking were approved by the City’s Planning and Development Committee and Council,” said Brown. “The Municipal Parking team worked very closely with the Port Credit Business Improvement Association (BIA) to develop an appropriate implementation plan for the area and the plan was approved by Council on April 6. The revenue received through on-street parking will be used to offset parking maintenance costs and will be invested in the development of new parking facilities.”
The new rates take effect on September 1, 2016 on all the existing metered machines located along Lakeshore Rd. E., Port St. E. and the side streets adjacent to the commercial district. Additional metered machines will be installed beginning September 6, north of Lakeshore Rd. E. between Stavebank Rd. and Hurontario St. – CINEWS