The Community Recognition Program (one-year pilot) of the City of Mississauga has been designed to recognize and celebrate special occasions and events that foster a spirit of community, celebrate Mississauga’s diverse cultures and contribute to enriching the quality of life in Mississauga.
- Flag raising requests must be submitted at least six weeks in advance.
- Lighting requests must be submitted at least two weeks in advance.
- Organizations can select only one recognition option (flag raising or lighting) per year.
- Requests must be made annually; they will not carry over year after year.
- Recognition items are issued at the discretion of the City of Mississauga.
- Requests will be reviewed and evaluated in the order they are received.
Types of recognition: Flag Raisings
The City of Mississauga will raise flags for community/non-profit groups and organizations that meet the criteria in the Community Recognition policy. The requestor will be responsible to provide the flag.
Flag raisings will be done on a flag pole designated by the City on the Mississauga Celebration Square and digitally on the Mississauga Celebration Square screens, as available and in rotation with scheduled programming. Flags raised will remain in place for one day (up to 24 hours).
Clock Tower Lighting
Community/non-profit groups and organizations requesting the City’s Clock Tower be lit are required to make a deputation to Council* to seek the approval of the Mayor and Members of Council.
Lightings will occur for one evening and will take place on the requested date as per the direction provided by Council.
To request a Council deputation, click the button below to download the Request To Speak at Council and Committees of Council Form from the City Clerk’s page. Once complete, please submit the form to Carmela.Radice@mississauga.ca to be added to an upcoming Council agenda. The form must be received at least eight business days prior to the requested Council date. CINEWS