Mississauga third most unaffordable Canadian city to live in

Views: 157

In a random sampling of public opinion taken by The Forum Poll among 3572 Canadian voters, two-thirds (67 per cent) of Canadians think their city is becoming unaffordable and a third (33 per cent) think their city is still affordable.

The poll shows Mississauga has the dubious distinction of being the third most unaffordable city in Canada among the 10 cities surveyed. The majority of Mississauga residents (77 per cent) think the city is unaffordable with a quarter (23 per cent) saying the city is affordable.

The poll found that Mississauga residents who are more likely to say their city is unaffordable include those aged 18-34 (86 per cent), those earning less than $20k (92 per cent), those with some college or university (86 per cent), and renters (93 per cent).

The survey finds that Mississauga residents who are more likely to say their city is affordable include those age 65 and over (34 per cent), those earning $60k-$80k (33 per cent) or $80k-$100k (31 per cent), those with secondary school education or less (40 per cent), and homeowners (30 per cent).

The poll asked residents if the lack of affordable housing—recent data from rentals.ca indicates that the average monthly rent for a one-bedroom was $1,929 in August and the average monthly rent for a two-bedroom was $2,336—are planning to leave the city.

The poll found that respondents were split on staying or leaving Mississauga due to its unaffordability, with half (47 per cent) saying they had considered leaving and the other half (53 per cent) saying they had not.

According to the poll, Mississauga residents spend an average of $332 on groceries per month.

The survey finds that while 6 in 10 Canadians own their homes (and 4 in 10 rent), 7 in 10 Mississauga residents are homeowners.

The poll finds that Mississauga residents more likely to be homeowners include those age 45 and over, males (73 per cent), those earning $100k-$250k (95 per cent), those with some secondary school education or less (78 per cent) or post-grads (81 per cent).

Mississauga residents more likely to be renters include those aged 18 to 34 (58 per cent), females (34 per cent) earning $20k-$40k (58 per cent), and those with some college or university (44 per cent).

While the city is experiencing a huge condo boom, 6 in 10 Mississauga residents live in houses and 2 in 10 live in apartments.

According to Forum, Mississauga is the most expensive city to rent in and its residents have the fourth-highest average monthly spending on mortgages. -CINEWS

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *