London, Feb. 08 (ANI): England limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan has confirmed that out-of-favour batsman Kevin Pietersen will not be selected for next month’s World Twenty20 in India.
Pietersen’s stellar form in the Ram Slam T20 in South Africa and Australia’s Big Bash League prompted calls for the 35-year-old to be recalled in the national squad.
However, Morgan firmly told a leading daily that Pietersen will not be picked and that the door is completely shut for the country’s leading run-scorer in all formats, the Guardian reported.
Last year, Pietersen’s hopes of earning an England recall suffered a heavy blow when Andrew Strauss, the England and Wales Cricket Board’s director, told the maverick batsman that he would not be considered for an international recall.
Strauss had cited a ‘massive trust issue’ between him and the sacked batsman as the reason behind the decision to not select him for the 2015 Ashes series, which England won by 3-2.
Pietersen, a veteran of 104 Tests and 136 one-day caps for England, has been out of the national squad since his central contract was cancelled by the ECB following the team’s Ashes washout by Australia in 2014. (ANI)